Friday, July 1, 2011

Oh do you know the muffin man, muffin man, muffin man.......

Yes, today I'm making muffin's. We have so much yellow squash from our garden that I'm running out of things to make with them. You can only have so much steamed, sauteed and cooked squash... I need new ideas. So this morning I turned to one of my best friends; Google.com. What would we do without it? I found a recipe for Butternut squash muffins made by the very British Jamie Oliver. I decided to exchange the Butternut to plain old yellow squash. It turned out really yummy and will definitely go back to this recipe if our squash plant keeps on producing for us. It's a pretty "healthy" recipe as well, no butter and he uses light brown sugar (is that better than regular white sugar? Let's pretend it is). 

Seriously squash, what to do with you all!?

The recipe called for 14 ounces of squash, which means two squash, so there's plenty more left... sigh..

Me and my polka-dot apron mixing it up Giada (or Leila if you're Swedish) style

In to the oven they go. Here my "farmor" would shake her finger at me telling me to shut the oven door! :)

Voila!

I'm enjoying mine with some tea in front of the TV watching the hottest man (sorry babe!) alive (Rafa) trying to get to the Wimbledon Final.

Recipe:
  ( 1 cup is 250 ml, 2 1/2 dl)
  • 14 ounces squash, shredded
  • 2 1/4 cups light soft brown sugar
  • 4 large organic eggs
  • sea salt
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • Handful of walnuts, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
I put the shredded squash with the eggs and sugar and mixed it all up. Then I put in all the other ingredients and mixed it up. It said to not mix it up too much, so I made sure not to. Then into the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes.So easy and so good, and a good way to get some veggies in you.

I'm bringing some of mine tomorrow to North Carolina. Yeah, we're going hiking/canoeing in the NC woods. We'll leave tomorrow with four of our good friends and will be coming back on Monday. Two nights in tents will be fun, but I'm a little nervous too, it was a while ago. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment