Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dinner time

I don't know about you but I find it really hard to think of what to make for dinner a lot of the times. So last weekend when my hubby was away for a few days and I had some extra time on my hands I decided to make a dinner menu for the coming week. I used the internet and tried to find as many recipes as I could that contained many of the veggies that we grow and came up with dinner menu for the two of us. It has worked out great! We spent Sunday evening at the super market and stocked up on all the groceries we needed (the only thing I didn't buy was hamburger patties. We like to try and buy most of our meat at Whole Foods where they sell organic grass fed beef so I went there today and bought some. The lady at the counter didn't know the code for the grass fed beef so I got it for the price of regular beef. Yay!). What I've liked most about this dinner plan is that I don't have to stress about what I'm going to make that night, I already have it written down and all the ingredients in my fridge or in the garden. It is also fun to mix in some new recipes to make it a little exciting. (I never make anything that will take me more than an hour to cook; most of my recipes take like 30-40 min tops.)

We have always been pretty good at going to the grocery store once a week and making dinner at home almost every  night but going this route seems more efficient. We've decided to have Sunday breakfast together with the laptop at hand and making a dinner menu for the coming week and then going to the grocery store later that night. Let's see how it goes!? 

This is one of the recipes I found for this past week's menu, it was SO delicious! 

Tortellini - Tomato Salad: 
  • cheese-filled tortellini
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (this one may be hard for you in Sweden? If it doesn't exist, skip it. )
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 cup fresh corn kernels
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
  • Salt and pepper
 
1. Firs I boiled the corn on the cob and cut off the corn
2. Cook the tortellini
3.Put olive oil, lemon juice, Parmesan, garlic and salt in a food processor and mix (this is where the Worcestershire sauce goes if you are using it)
4. Toss the olive oil mixture with tortellini and put tomatoes, green onion, corn and fresh basil as toppings
5. Salt and pepper to taste

recipe and pic from foodnetwork.com

Try it why don't ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment